Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > RECIPES Reverse seared meat.
RECIPES Welcome to our kitchen!

Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:49 am   #1
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Reverse seared meat.

Reverse sear. Anyone ever hear of it?

I have been reading about it for over a year, and decided to try it out.
I had my doubts. Figured it was just a gimmicky thing, that someone came up with, like sous vide for restaurants.

Let me tell you it turned out the most juicy & tender steak Deb & I have ever had in our entire lives! From 1st bite to last. No bite had even a hint of "dry" in it. And the juice did not pool on plate when first few slices were made. It stayed inside of the meat totally! Awesome!

You can't describe it by typing, can't by face to face conversations.
It has to be experienced to understand, how much better it is than our normal methods of cooking roast or steaks. It will blow your mind!

Simple explanation.
Instead of Searing first, then frying a steak, or what-have-you.
Instead of Searing first, and placing in lower oven temp to finish.

You put in low oven @ 170* F. until your internal meat temp that you like is reached. THEN, you take it out, let rest a few minutes, and put into Slammin Hot Pan and sear a minute on each side.

If using this method for a roast, do the same.
Take out to rest until internal temp starts to drop, and then place under fully pre-heated broiler on high, to give it a searing.

A good quality thermometer is required.
I use both, remote Maverick 732, and a Thermapen, to double check with. You want at least one thermometer with a QUICK reading very fine point on end, to give quick reads.
______________________________ __

Because I didn't know who long this was going to take, I cooked our sides 1st, and then put them into the oven when I started the steak.
Oven would be at a good holding temp, so I didn't worry about drying out the potatoes or corn, etc.
Now that I know how long it takes, I'll start the steak 1st, and then, cook the sides and just add them to oven as they are done to hold until dinner.

Cut our steaks about 1 1//4" thick, give or take. I didn't weigh our steaks, but estimated the weight on Deb's at about 13 oz. And my steak was a tad thicker and was about 1 lb.

I seasoned night before with Salt, Pepper, Onion, & Garlic (SPOG), and placed on rack uncovered in fridge lower rack.

I only left steak at room temp about 15 minutes while preheating the oven to 170*.
Internal temp was 41* when placed into 170* oven, on a rack with foiled pan under it. When cooking was done there was only one small drip on the foil, and it came, during time spent in fridge.

In Oven @170* F.
@ 25 minutes IT was 64* (IT = Internal Temprature)
@ 45 minutes IT was 86*
@ 1 hour IT was 97*
@ 1 & 1/2 hour IT was 112*
@ 1 hour & 50 minutes IT was 120*
@ 2 hours IT was 124*

Pulled out and tented loosely with foil, left Maverick probe still in it. Also double checked temps on both steaks with Thermapen.

Rested it about 15 minutes until IT dropped to 120*.
While it was resting, I heated two cast iron skillets on stove, until just starting to smoke. Shut flame off added tablespoon of Peanut Oil to each pan, wiped excess out with paper towel, turned flame back to high and added steaks.

While getting the sides out and plated up, I ended up searing steaks a little bit too long. Not too bad, just a little bit.

Now we have a base time estimate from my cooking log, we can do better next time with everything, and not be so nervous about screwing it up.

What I would do different next time, is pull steaks out at the 112* to 115* temp. Right around the 1 1/2 hour mark. For a regular pan fried steak 120*-125* F. seems med-rare to rare to us. But with this method, it seems I need to keep IT lower than I'm used to. I err'd on the side of over done, rather that chance raw steak. I needn't have worried.

How was it?

The shot with the slices, actually make it look much more rare than it was. I wish it had looked like this on my plate! LOL It was more of a medium, rather than medium rare. My camera doesn't do color well with flash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse Steaks-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	9865

Name:	Reverse Steak-Morels.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	9866

Reversed seared rib-eye, with caramelized onions, garlic mashed potatoes and corn.
Plus for my plate, some Morel Mushrooms added!

Two things impressed us the most.
1. it was more tender than any steak we've ever had.
2. it was the most moist steak ever tasted too. All the way through dinner from 1st to last bites, extremely very little juice ran onto plate. And the last bite was a juicy as the first! The juice you see on my plate came from corn and Morels.

So for rare, to med rare, pull between 112* - 115*, around the hour and a half mark is your time.
For a more medium, like this one, 124* - 125* around the 2 hour mark is your time estimate.

I can't wait for spring!

When I can smoke the meat during the low temp part, then lay it right on, or closely over, screaming hot 800*-1000* F. coals, for final sear.
It's gonna be Heaven!

Here is a link to a couple of videos http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...xplained-video to get your started, but do your own research on Reverse Searing. But don't fall for the ones that do prelim cook at over 190* F. Once you go above 212*, the meat juices will boil and meat will be drier than how I did mine.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DEANNA:
1st, cut both soles off BF's boots.
Place in glass pan with water or chickenchit broth.
Then nuke on high until dinner, 2 or 3 hours later.
Hint: Be sure to cut with dull knife! Chew very long time.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:31 am   #2
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Reverse seared meat.

I can hear it now... an hour and a half. to two hours, for a steak dinner? Are you kidding???!!!

Really not much difference. Cook your sides while meat is in oven, place sides in oven to hold as you finish them.
It really doesn't take much more time. And I think it is easier to have everything done at once when you serve dinner.

Give it a shot before writing it off. Works for most any piece of meat over 3/4".
Sirloin, thick chops, roasts, or what have you.

Frank

Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:13 pm   #3
Deanna
Family member
Name: Deanna
Central, Michigan USA

3 hours cooking time should be about right for me lol sounds yummy!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:28 am   #4
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Reverse Searing

I tried this on a cheaper cut too.

I did a large 1 1/2" thick sirloin steak cut from meat market..
I followed my log from the rib-eyes, and tried to do it the exact same way. Except it took a little longer due to the thicker denser meat.

Cooked to 124*. Same as the rib-eye. It took 3 hours for this thick steak. Pulled it to rest tented, while I warmed up sides.
Blanched and sauteed green beans, Morel mushrooms, and caramelized onions.

Name:	274-2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	9860
I had pre-cooked the onions, so they only had to warm while sauteing the beans and muchrooms Took only about 7-8 minutes.

Seared steak quickly in very hot cast iron pan. 1 minute or less per side.
Put all on platter for photo.

Name:	269-2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	9861

Looking great so far, right? But Wait... there's more! LOL

Name:	275-2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	9863
When I sliced it, it bled juices everywhere! I'm talking a big ole puddle on the platter.
I didn't get a shot of that, because I was too PO'd!

I think I didn't rest it long enough because my sides didn't take too long, and I rushed things at dinner time.
I left in the therm probe, and it DID drop in temp, but I'm thinking I should've rested it another 5-10 minutes longer, rather than just 8-10 minutes.

Anyway, we enjoyed a good meal, even if the meat had lost too much juice. I still think it was the resting time.
From now on I give it a 15-20 minute rest before searing, then heat up sides and give it a little more resting while doing that.

Name:	277-2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	9864

What could cause such a deep well done strip at top. I seared both sides the same time.

Name:	276-2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	9862

The one thing that is still puzzling me is the well done strip on the top of steak.
The well done strip was also the side that was up in oven. But it was on a rack, and should've been the same on both sides.
I seared it for only a minute on both sides, but that top was well done.

Maybe pan hotter on first side sear vs 2nd side sear?

To all you good cooks and chefs, what caused this well done on top? It didn't happen with my rib-eye. Lack of fat in meat?

In spite of the error of slightly over cooking on top, it was pretty tasty.
We made french dip sammys from the rest of it a few days late. Yum!

Frank

Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:33 am   #5
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Want a Perfect Prime Rib Roast for Christmas or New Years?

Try this link: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/hs0vq2eb...rib-roast.html

Never fails.

Frank

Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:49 pm   #6
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

With that much imbibing it would have to be perfect....if you remember that you are cooking.