Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's ID of mushroom
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:31 pm   #1
Preacherman
Name: Terry
Central, Michigan USA

ID of mushroom

http://www.michiganmorels.com/funtal...1&d=1537312880

New to this, not sure if Iíve uploaded this pic correctly....(or if it even uploaded at all) but if it did.... iím curious to the species of this mushroom (iím Confident itís not an edible, but I could be wrong) any experts on here wanna chime in please.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA858F9F-25D0-409B-A381-F5E94B9541C5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	11079  
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:24 am   #2
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: ID of mushroom

Those kinda look like Dryad's Saddles, which are edible when they are small and tender.
Older ones are dry and you'd only want to eat the edges.
I'm not 100% sure on this ID, so don't run out and pick and eat it!
I don't think there are any toxic mushrooms that look like that, but there are some inedible ones that aren't going to be pleasant to eat because of their texture and/or flavor.

Jeff O.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:38 pm   #3
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

I agree with Jeff O. (or Jochs - I'm a bit curious about that, because of my cousin, Jochen, a not-rare German name. I finally looked: https://www.behindthename.com/name/jochen).

ID of tree species helps. Dryad's like American White Elm allot, but I think some maples perhaps too, and I'm curious what other species they can use. Commonly seen in spring when you go up to dead elms hoping for morels (near me, SE LP, that's the tactic). I have seen very fresh ones several times recently. I have never eaten them, but sometimes the super young ones have tempted me, and maybe someday I'll bite the Dryad.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:47 am   #4
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Jochs is what I came up with the first letter of my first name combined with my last name, "Ochs," which is German.
It would be funny if your cousin was the guy some friends of mine saw in Indiana that they swore looked just like me, only didn't speak English.

As for Dryad's Saddles, I have never found them in the fall that I can remember, however I am not usually looking for them.
I always come across them in the spring during morel season. I believe they can be found on the dead ash trees that the Emerald Ash Borers have claimed over the last ten years.
(BTW, I saw a ray of hope along I-196 near South Haven recently. All of the bare ash trees had lots of new growth growing at their bases, so maybe the ashes will make a comeback and will host morels in the near future. So it appears that many trees weren't completely killed. )

Jeff O.