Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Identification Help Chanterelles?
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:55 pm   #1
Mar3k7211
Name: mark
Southern, Michigan USA

Identification Help Chanterelles?

Hey guys,

Just recently went mushroom picking and my wife and I do not normally pick chanterelles, but they were everywhere this weekend. Just wondering if anyone could identify these for us, would love to try these. The gills have me worried if these are the jack o lanterns?

I hope the pictures are clear enough. Thank You!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	11074

Name:	DSC_0030.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	11075

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	11076

Name:	DSC_0032.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	11077
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:05 pm   #2
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

Re: Identification Help Chanterelles?

Look like Cantharellus flavus to me. People say golden chanterelle but that can mean 3 or 4 species - I'm not being a critic when I say that. I'm just saying it helps to know the whole genus, and if you do, knowing the names for every species is perhaps not a problem. I'm going to try and show pictures of what I think are flavus, phasmatis, and cinnabarinus. First one, flavus has narrow "stem", sharp false-gills and is orange/golden on stem and gills, and does not need gravelly soil. Second one, the common one near me, like gravelly kames and eskers, north faces, and has whitish false gills and fat stem, and less prominant gills, and color is more yellow than orange typically. Third one, cinnabar chants are smaller, very narrow stems, more obviously wrinkly false gills, and have the color of their name. These are hardly the only species. Flavus is most difficult cause the false gills nearly look like true ones. You must study jack-o-lantern. They come in a gang that has stems converging, are often larger, near base of oak, particularly black oak. Know them well. There are also tiny shrooms like cinnabar with white sharp gills that I'm not sure what they are. Get used to the possibility that the shroom in hand has no name, and is not well known to science, and that you are not sure of the order, much less the genus.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view

Name:	flavus_close_090818.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	11081   Click image for larger version

Name:	phasmatis_090618.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	11082   Click image for larger version

Name:	cinnabarinus_090718.jpg
Views:	7