Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion They’re still there somewhere...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 26, 2019, 11:07 pm   #1
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

They’re still there somewhere...

A buddy here hunts the exact same spots as I have. Same spots same parking places. It’s along the 45th where the ash are dead. He can say but not sure but they are around dead ash with possible saplings and maple. I was skunked for greys whereas his family picked 40# in that terrain. I checked multiple areas with his description but nada. Still gonna try. Hurts my gut. Lol
Old May 27, 2019, 7:55 pm   #2
morelmi
Enhanced Membership
Name: Chris
Central, Ohio USA

Re: They’re still there somewhere...

Heading to the 45th on Thursday. Having to relearn hunting with the ash gone. The word is that it will be an “epic” year. We will see.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:51 am   #3
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Epic for a few. A pain for me! LOL Good Luck!
Old May 28, 2019, 12:21 pm   #4
TheMorelian
Enhanced Membership
Name: Jeff
Central, Michigan USA
Holton

I`m going to keep giving it a go and see how this pans over the next decade or so.
After the devastation I`ve seen and the very small amounts I`ve brought back these past few years I`m realistic enough to know its not like it once was and probably wont ever be again in my lifetime.
But I kind of like the idea that the parameters have been reset, new strategies need to be developed, new discoveries can happen, so its back to the drawing board and the old hunt on!
Old May 28, 2019, 12:50 pm   #5
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

I hear ya Jeff. gone are the days of pickin like a fool. Not to start over with developingnew areas and terrain. I did enjoy being spoiled for 15 years though.. LOL
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:09 am   #6
joe pohl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Joe
Northern, Michigan usa
manistee

Thumbs up Re: They’re still there somewhere...

hey guys I know it looks bad right now ...but I see a lot of little green ash trees coming up..hopefully that emerald ash bore worm dies out since all the mature ash trees are dead ..... a little history about this tree when the American elm trees were getting wiped out because of the dutch elms disease the forestry department introduced the emerald ash trees or what are called white ash to replace the elms .. because they were very hardy and fast growing .. now the dutch elm disease is still with us today but I am hoping the bore worm is finished since its food is gone...... because the forest is full of little ash trees coming up from the stumps of the dead ones and making a real come back .. they do grow very fast in ten years the can grow up to 30 foot tall so carry your mesh mushroom bags so the spores of the morel inoculate the new ash trees with their spores and the morel will come back also... for now just stick to old apple trees and large tooth aspens or cotton wood trees and small tooth aspens popular trees as well the hard wood forest of hickory, beach maples and aspen the mixture of these trees are good bet for mushrooms good luck to all pohlcat
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:22 pm   #7
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

Thanks for the history lesson Joe. Hopefully we will be finding them in numbers again soon.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:05 am   #8
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Something is happening up there. Whether they are tying to Maples/Oaks or Ash saplings. My buddies are finding tons while I got crap. Probably trying one last time. LOL