Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Late Pleurotus
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:57 pm   #1
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

Late Pleurotus

I got these shrooms last year too, around thunder-chicken day (end of Nov) and they came this year again, on a hickory that got shattered, along with my house, in the May 15 2012 Dexter tornado. Washtenaw county, MI. I thought that I had previously figured out that it was a slightly different species than Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster shroom) but could not prove that to myself tonight. It's more robust and comes late. The ones shown should have been taken 4 days earlier (dammit). I checked before thanksgiving and saw them starting but then forgot about them. Got and used them exactly on thanksgiving last year - quite good, very solid, massive. Perhaps it's just the same old shroom on different substrate. Help or notes appreciated.

I am seeing winter mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) on American white elm now too. It's more fun to cook with than books say in my opinion - thickens sauces. (Same for fairy ring, Marasmius oreades - people put it down, but having hundreds of tiny shrooms is cool for some dishes, I think.)
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pleurotus_small.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	10736  
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:10 am   #2
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Re: Late Pleurotus

Looks like the typical P ostreatus

I have picked a few this fall and want to get some more. I found a ton growing up a tree in the middle of a swamp yesterday. My boots leak so I left them. Going back today with better rubber boots and maybe my 6 foot tall son.

They seem to be few and far between this year compared to years past. Same for the Flammulina velutipes. Maybe they are just getting started.

I should start a thread about good water proof knee high boots. I seem to get holes in mine in less than a month.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:30 pm   #3
rork
Name: Rork
Southern, Michigan USA
Dexter

Thanks.
I'm on my second pair of Lacrosse 18 inch high Grange boots, no insulation. I buy 1 size too big and use inserts and fat socks. I wear them about 80 times per year and they last several years. Waterloo/Pinckney has taught me to not just wear hiking boots when I'm walking alone, since I don't want limitations on my botanizing. There are even better boots out there, but they cost.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:02 pm   #4
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I'll have to look into those. I have a tendency to get punctures not only on the bottoms but in the sides. On some of the cheaper boots I bought just for rain boots the seams ripped out. These were Puddletons, I wore them less than a month and the seam where I bend my foot ripped. It's not an actual seam but more like an indentation in the molded rubber. Returned them to try again and the same thing happened only much worse. It's like they were designed to fail!

I managed to find a pair of rubber boots I bought at Goodwill that didn't leak. I wore 3 pairs of socks and put in extra inserts because they are a mans size 12 and I wear a woman's size 9 or 10. It was awkward walking but I managed to get my oyster mushrooms and my feet stayed warm and dry. They appear to be insulated.

I was going to research these boots and see if I can find a pair that fit. I can't remember the name at the moment and don't feel like getting up to look. I'm thinking it's something like Orvis.

I pretty much wear my knee high rubber boots when I'm home in MI because of our outrageous amount of poison ivy and brambles. Nothing worse than having to tie hiking boots after you've been bushwhacking through the poison ivy!