Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion 2014 season
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:44 am   #1
tomtom
Name: Tom
Central, Indiana USA

2014 season

Anybody have any thoughts or predictions for the upcoming mushroom season around Gaylord area? How was the winter compared to past winters?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:49 pm   #2
PoorOldRon
Name: Ron
Northern, Michigan USA
Atlanta

Re: 2014 season

This year's winter can be summed up in one word, "brutal". It came on strong in December and never let up. Set records for snow totals as well as record low temps across most of the north. My thoughts are that precip/temp from April and into May are key in determining a good morel crop. All this snow can't hurt but it could be gone in a week or so and then what. Mother Nature will call the shots. Just being in the woods is worth the wait but a few morels makes it so much better.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:08 am   #3
tomtom
Name: Tom
Central, Indiana USA

Thanks for the reply. I am planning a trip to Wolverine in May to mushroom hunt. I live in southern IN. It was a very cold and snowy winter here too. I hope it doesn't make for a late spring. I'm itchin to get in the woods.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:53 am   #4
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

I give up trying to second guess Mother Nature.If we have a normal warm up and spring,we may be ok.If it goes from 40* to 70* in a couple days with no rian and high winds,could be a short season.Who knows.....I guess it'll be what ever is dished out to us...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:20 pm   #5
beastybird
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

I don't know about MI or other areas but here in WI our frost line was 4 1/2 ft down (my friends son is a gravedigger and they dig all winter ) so will be interesting to see when the season will start and how long it will last --- anyone else able to add anything?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:58 pm   #6
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

We should be having warm weather more frequently in the coming weeks, as the maple sap is now flowing in Southern Michigan. This is normally a sign that warm weather is only a week or two away, and is more reliable than a silly rodent that did or did not see it's shadow.

And earlier in the winter I heard the ground was frozen down 15 inches in Michigan. Not sure if the snow-cover helped insulate the ground and kept the frost line from going down any further. I saw evidence of snow-protected plants today, as some normally evergreen broadleaf shrubs were brown, except at ground level. I also expect to see, like in 1994, forsythia bushes blooming at ground level, as I think the Polar Vortex may have killed their flower buds, so the only ones that survive will be the ones protected by the snow.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:49 pm   #7
Guido
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

My guess is that the late meltdown of the snow pack will mean that we are less dependent that usual on rains. I think we'll have a plentiful season that starts later than normal. I just hope that we don't go straight from winter to summer, with none of the in-between weather that I prefer to hunt in.

Just a few...

Guido
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:48 pm   #8
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

As of today, most wooded areas still have a crusty layer of snow in them, which is helping preserve the moisture in the ground. Plus we've had rain/snow/sleet every day this week in Berrien County, adding to the ground moisture.

Though the weather hasn't been all that great, I'm sure we'll be rewarded later.
Remember how sunny and warm it was in the Spring of 2012, and how slim the pickens were? This spring is so different from that.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:43 pm   #9
up north
Name: Todd
Upper Peninsula, Michigan USA
Bark River

Hi everyone I still have about 18-20 inches of snow on the ground up here at my place!! The last 3 years we started to find blacks in late April, I think it may be May this year or maybe July,lol !I have found when the snow melts late enough to leave huge puddles in the woods when the shrooms are starting to pop up are the best years!! I give up on trying to predict how good a year will be, I am usually wrong! May your mushroom bags be full !!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:49 am   #10
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

And may your full mushroom bags be big bags and not little ones!

Some years I can fill several grocery bags, other years I can't even fill a lunch sack!

I think this year it will be full grocery bags!

Jeff O.